Are you lacking a convenient home office or work space with easy storage solutions in your home?
Often times the challenge is space and convenience. How do we keep the area tidy yet stylish, easily accessible, practical, customized to our own needs and unique all at the same time?
In our experience, there are just a few things to keep in mind making YOUR space, all of the above!
If you have a closet at home that is not being utilized to it’s full potential, clear the space through elimination, combining or donating items.
Have a design plan in mind, with regards to style and colours and stick to it. Without this, it’s easy to waiver and lose direction, and completing the space takes much longer.
Here are some tips and tricks to get you started.
- Add a “shallow” desktop in proportion to the depth of the closet.
- Keep it as open as possible, so if necessary, storage and garbage bins can be placed underneath, and of course a much needed chair.
- Try open shelving above the desk for easy access and simplicity.
- Add colourful baskets on these shelves for organization.
Following these simple steps keeps the small space “visually” open and airy.
You’re not only re-purposing but you are re-cycling and re-using in a very efficient way. When the space isn’t being used, simply close the doors.
Do you have a spare room in your home, and don’t know how to make the transition into home office?
Ensure first, that you know how you want the space to function. Once you know this and have a design in mind, the rest is straight forward.
Try these easy and simple steps for a personalized, unique space.
- Use storage solutions that are easy on the eye and complimentary to the colour palette you have chosen.
- Try shelving that you can personalize by hanging as many or as few shelves as you require. If you use open shelving remember to keep it tidy.
- Hang a corkboard or bulletin board directly over your desk for those important “things to remember” and “to do” lists. You can make these unique and complimentary to your space by covering with a favourite fabric.
- Choose a desk that doesn’t necessarily look like a desk. Try an antique farmers table, or create your own.
- Use wicker or fabric baskets stacked in a corner or beside your desk for easy accessibility.
- Try portable storage on wheels that can be moved throughout the space. If you can’t find what you want, buy an ottoman with storage and add wheels to it.
- You can also do this with baskets or bins of your choice.
Have fun with it! You deserve a lovely workspace and you can create one, all your own!